Monday, October 28, 2019

On Books

hardcover books on a shelf



a row
of hardcover books
on the shelf
golden keys to unlock
worlds hidden behind doors



I've always been fond of books. They are like old friends at a dinner party - always chatting away with something new to say. Indeed, it's hard not to admire a book, for within its dusty covers, are worlds waiting to be discovered. The possibilities are endless. Will I enter a world of fantasy and enroll in a wizard school? Or perhaps I will travel in time to Ancient Greece and attend a lecture at Plato's Academy. Maybe I will explore the stars and learn about the universe with Astronomy. All these choices are mine to make. They are "golden keys" that will unlock the ignorance of my mind as I strive for understanding.

Socrates once said: "I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance." I too, have tried to live by this maxim. It is only through humility, have I learned that there is so much to learn. An open mind, an open heart, and an open book, are the surest ways I know to grow as a person. I truly believe this. Without these things, it would be much harder to grow in wisdom.

A good book is a friend for life. I will always relish the ones I've read, for many have changed my life. They are there for anyone willing to listen - to listen to their stories. I'm glad I listened.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I welcome your comments.