Monday, May 13, 2019

The Snake And The Lamb

snake




The Snake And The Lamb




There once lived a lamb. She was a pretty thing who loved to talk to the other animals about her fur. She would blab for hours about how lucky she was to have such good looks.

One summer morning, when the sun was rising in the sky, the lamb felt thirsty. So she wandered down to the stream to lap up the cold clear water. As she drank, she heard a slithering sound behind her. She turned and saw a snake about six feet long with gold and green coils. The snake's eyes sunk to slits as he regarded her. Then he bowed his head:

"Good morning, lamb." it hissed.

"Good morning, snake." the lamb replied. "What brings you here?"

"You are not the only that is thirsty." the snake said.

The lamb rolled her eyes and bleated. "Oh, you're quite right snake! I sometimes forget in all my excitement. It's hard to be a sheep, you know?"  the lamb giggled.

"I understand. When you have such beautiful fur, everyone should notice it."

The lamb's eyes widened and she nodded her head. "Yes! That's it. You know exactly how I feel. Why shouldn't I be proud of my fur? It's like all the animals ignore me out of jealousy."

"They do because they can not match your beauty." the snake said softly.

"Oho!" the lamb laughed. "Why, snake! I didn't know you were such a charmer. But don't stop now--tell me more." her eyes sparkled and she shifted her position to show the snake another part of her gorgeous fur.

"No charms, my dear." the snake replied. "I only speak the truth with what I see. You are a beauty, with fur so golden that it shines like the sun. Your eyes are stars and your bleating is the voice of sweet Spring..." he continued to compliment her in his dreamy voice as he circled closer and closer.

The lamb stood transfixed as she listened to the smooth voice of the snake. Charmed, she blushed red. Her heart fluttered and she rocked from side to side as her body trembled from the sweet words. With a smile, she sighed and closed her eyes.

And the watchful snake, his glittering golden eyes always on alert, gave a satisfying hiss as he sprang for the unsuspecting lamb.

For as they say:


Beware the snake with silver tongue
Who's words drip like honey;
Smiles and soft words are but a snare
To part you from your money.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I welcome your comments.