Friday, April 5, 2019

A Sudden Surprise

alarm clock




A Sudden Surprise




At precisely 5:00 AM, on a Monday morning, the alarm clock rang. Bobby's eyes sprang open, and he stared at his apartment ceiling. The alarm clock continued its steady buzzing, its ring droning on like an angry hive of bees. Bobby felt a wave of annoyance wash over him as he listened to that buzzing sound. He struggled into a sitting position, and with a shaking hand, pressed the sleep button. The alarm clock fell silent. With a smile, Bobby laid his head back on the pillow. He closed his eyes and began to snore, a deep rumbling sound like a bear hibernating in a cave.

Five minutes later, his mobile phone rang. Irritated, his hand fished for it under his pillow. He held the phone close to his ear and pressed the call button.

"Hello?" He mumbled as he blinked his sleepy eyes.

"Bobby?" A scared, timid female voice sounded on the other end.

"What is it Jenny?" He said. "I'm about to get ready for work here. Can't it wait?"

"No, it can't." Jenny said. "Your my boyfriend Bobby, and you need to know."

Bobby felt a wave of panic flood over him like a broken dam. He had a bad feeling about this. He gulped and said as calmly as he could...

"Know what?"

"Well, I know this might be hard. But I missed my period this month. And...um...well, I think..."

Bobby's breath rose up and down like an overused locomotive. He gripped his phone tighter, his knuckles turning as white as his pale face.

"You think what?" he finally croaked.

Jenny took a deep breath and said in a calm, clear tone:

"I think I might be pregnant."

Bobby's throat constricted and his heart hammered in his ears. He stared dumbly at his apartment wall.

"Bobby? Are you there?" Jenny said over the line.

Trying to control his panic, Bobby took a deep breath.

"Yeah, I'm here." He said.

"So? Aren't you going to say something? Anything?" There was an ugly note of displeasure in her voice.

"I....unh" Bobby finally stammered.

"Bobby! Say something!" Jenny screeched. Her voice sounded like a banshee in her fury.

Bobby felt hot all over. Sweat poured down his face, and his hand trembled as he gripped the phone. His stomach gurgled like a pent up volcano waiting to explode. Visions of squawking babies filled his eyes. He coughed.

"Baby, I just remembered that I owe the pizza guy. So I..."

"What!?" Jenny screamed. "You dare to change topics? At at time like this? I should..."

Bobby shook as he heard Jenny screaming at him over the line. His throat felt raw, and his eyes watered. His whole body trembled in convulsive shakes. He croaked into the phone once more.

"Baby, I'll call you back. I promise." He hung up. He winced as his ears rang with the haunting echo of Jenny screeching in his ears. He sighed. What should he do?

As he sat and pondered on his bed, he heard the sweet chirping of robin's outside his window. Their music had a calming effect on him, a sweet tonic to soothe busted nerves. As he listened, he felt a wave of peace wash over him, as if a wise mentor was whispering in his ear. Bobby smiled and stood up. He felt more in control now, almost ashamed of his previous behavior. He knew what he had to do.

"I'll go for a walk." He said as he opened up his dresser drawers.



sunlight
in the city
a day of dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I welcome your comments.